Apple Cider Vinegar, CSA, Food, Green Onions, Leeks, Local, low-calorie, Vegetables
When my CSA share contained leeks and green onions, I knew I wanted to braise them. And what better for a cold weather side dish than apple cider vinegar? Intensely flavorful, warming, and almost too low in calories to count at all, this one of my new Winter favorites!
Recipe adapted from Greene on Greens by Bert Greene
– 1 large leek
– 3 large green onions
– 2 cloves garlic
– 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
– 1 packet sweetener
– 1 pinch salt
– ground black pepper to taste
1. Spray a pan, then finely dice or crush garlic and brown slightly in pan.
2. Slice leek and green onions and add to pan. Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
3. Add apple cider vinegar, sweetener and salt, stir well, cover and cook for about 15 minutes, until leeks and onions become tender.
4. Add pepper to taste and adjust sweetness if desired. Cook a few more minutes until liquid is reduced. (This version yields a very flavorful dish, but if you prefer it less vinegar-y, reduce apple cider vinegar and add water or apple cider to obtain 1/2 cup liquid total).
Do you ever braise? I feel like braising gets forgotten way too often!